Saturday, February 26, 2005

Sania admits to having a crush on Akshay Kumar

For parents and toddlers from Srinivaspuri jhuggi, who had gathered at the local MCD dispensary, the attractive lady on the dais administering polio drops and signing autographs could be from the "filmi duniya".

Shivani, with her six-month-old son perched on her shoulder, said, "Kitni sunder hai. Koi film star hogi. Aur dekho kitni pyar se bachchon ko dawa de rahin hain."

However, when this was conveyed to tennis sensation Sania Mirza, looking a bit overdressed for a warm afternoon in a magenta and black embroidered salwar kameez and bangles, she laughed.

"I am not surprised. Villagers relate success to films. So long as it all goes to a charitable cause, I do not mind. I am helping Rotary International in its polio eradication drive," she said, murmuring sweet nothings to a child in the queue.

Razaq, a Sania fan in the crowd, seemed starstruck when the sportstar accidentally brushed against him.

"I love her game. And one day I'll play like her."

However, the little boy's aunt seemed more impressed that Sania, being a Muslim girl, has made a name in the "bahri duniya".

Deepak Kapur, chairman, Indian National PolioPlus Committee of Rotary International, said, "Sania's iconic status will help us in the final push against polio. Her star power and the fact that she is a Muslim should generate trust among people. Muslim children are the most affected by polio."

Sania, sounding mature for her 18 years, said she understands the advantage of her religious belief. "I hope that when I reach out to Muslim mothers, they will trust me and come forward to immunise their children."

But why the young Sania? "We want to generate trust among minority families that polio drops are safe for their children. And she fits the bill," said Kapur.

Realising her capacity to inspire people, Sania said, "If I can help even one child from contracting polio, I'll be satisfied."

And is being a star tennis champ a hard life?

"Definitely", admitted Sania. "You make a lot of sacrifices and have to travel a lot. It is very hectic. But if I wouldn't have made the sacrifices, the media wouldn't have been interviewing me today. I wouldn't be talking to these kids either," came the smart reply.

Scribbling endless autographs in school notebooks and patiently smiling for the cameras, Sania seemed harassed at times but kept her calm.

"I think the media attention is just a bonus in my life. I have a small circle of friends and often go out with them for coffee and shopping, just like any other teenager."

Kapur could not help but sing her praise.

"We do not have mega funds and thus do not have a contract with Sania. It's her large heartedness that she is working with us. In July, when she will have some time, we'll ask her to tour polio-affected villages in western UP."

And does celebrity endorsements help the eradication drive?

"It does. Amitabh Bachchan's television advertisement helped us to a large extent in UP. And I hope Sania too will make a huge impact, specially on Muslim women in the region," said Kapur.

"Last year saw the smallest number of polio cases. Hence, this year we have a one-time opportunity to weed out the virus from our world. Our aim is to reach that goal by the yearend. And thanks to Sania and our other star campaigners, I am sure we will be able to do so," he added.

Amid all the serious "bytes", the teenager Sania peeped through at times.

"I have had a crush on Akshay Kumar since I was a child." But hurriedly added, "though I'll never say yes to a film with him or any other actor."

She also vehemently ruled out a crush on any tennis star but accepted her soft spot for Brad Pitt.

Sania, who loves to dress in red and black and prefers track pants and T-shirt, has captured the hearts of many like Razaq with her junior Wimbledon title and her on-court fight against the mighty Serena Williams. As Kapur said, "We hope she wins the Wimbledon and brings glory to the country and our cause."

No comments: