Wednesday, April 19, 2006

'I love playing for India': Sania

For months, Indian tennis sensation Sania Mirza has been consciously avoiding the desi media. The fear of being misquoted has perhaps been weighing on her mind more than the forehands and backhands that she faces on the court.



New Delhi:The Hyderabad star was in the Capital for a day enroute Seoul, where she will be playing for the country in the Fed Cup.

Injuries have been haunting you for sometime now. What is the problem?

If you go to any big tournament, there's a long waiting list to meet the physio. Injuries are part and parcel of a player's career, and one has to learn how best to deal with it.

Do you think all the hard work you have put in on fitness is helping you?

For almost four months I had Jade Hottes from Australia helping me out with my workout, fitness and gym regime. It has helped a lot. Right now, I am coping with a wrist and elbow injury. I also have a hyperextension in my back. So, after the Fed Cup, I will take a break.

Are you worried about the fall in ranking? Of late, you have improved a lot in doubles, though…

I am not at all worried. I've always believed in doing my best. My doubles performances of late have come along well, even though I still don't have a regular partner. The doubles game had helped me improve my singles game as well.

What kind of a motivation is it when you play for the country?

I am proud of being an Indian and I love playing for India. I am injured, but I'm still willing to take the risk and play this week for the country.

Life must be hectic. You're travelling from one country to another...

It's part of my career, and I cannot complain. At any given point of time my father or mother is travelling with me.

How is it to be working with different coaches?

It's something I have been through since my younger days. Asif Ismail will be helping me for six week. Let's see how it comes along.

Any specific goals for 2006?

I want to play consistent tennis and improve steadily.

No comments: