Friday, June 30, 2006

It's tough to play against No 7: Sania

LONDON, June 29: In her first round match against the seventh seed Russian, Elena Dementieva, the 38th ranked Sania started rather impressively before losing her way. In an exclusive chat with Times of India , the 19-year old looks back on her defeat and talks about the pressures of catering to a billion hopes.

On her thoughts about her first-round match against Dementieva:

I had those three bad games in the first set. But I held back together after that. I don't think I lost because of those three games. I think I played a decent match. It's tough when you are playing No. 7 in the world in your first round match.

On the fact that she needed just one game after leading 4-1 and 5-2 to wrap up the first set:

Just one game! Believe me, it's not that easy. When you are playing No. 7 in the world, you always expect her to comeback. Then a lot of other things count, your nerves, your groundstrokes, the way she is moving, (and she is one of the best movers in women's game), she traded some big shots and won. She's known for coming back when she's down.

On whether a dream debut last year has been followed by a nightmare this year:

Nightmare! No, not really. I am not very disappointed. I think I played a great match. The draw, the luck, wasn't in my favour. I played former champ (Anastasia) Myskina who loves clay - at French. Here I was pitted against the No. 7 in the world.

On whether she's learnt to deal with the burden of expectations:

Well, people haven't left me with any choice. It's hard, because I can't block out everything, but most of it I can, I'm pretty good at it. I have learnt, how you are taken up as soon as you win a match, and the minute you lose, you are pulled down by the same people.

No comments: