Monday, January 15, 2007

Sania overcomes Olga to advance in Australian Open

Indian tennis star Sania Mirza came through a testing first round against Ukraine`s Olga Savchuk to start her Australian Open campaign on a bright note here on Tuesday.

Sania, ranked 53 in the world, showed maturity in capitalising on her rival`s numerous double-faults and unforced errors to emerge 6-3 7-5 winner from an hour-and-a-half battle.

In the second round, she will play Aiko Nakamura of Japan who defeated Eleni Daniilidou 6-4 6-0.

In their only encounter in the past, Sania had beaten Nakamura in Japan Open in 2005.

After the victory, Sania said she had a better game now than when she enjoyed her best singles ranking of 31 in her debut season of 2005.

"I`m a more complete player these days. I believe I have more than when I was 30 in the world. I am 53 now but I play much better tennis today than I did then," said the 20-year-old player.

"I feel a lot fitter, I`m moving a lot better. Probably the serve is my weakest point right now, but it`s not exactly a weakness ... It`s just a matter of consolidating on that and playing some quality matches," she said.

Olga helped Sania`s cause in the first set by committing as many as six double faults.

The Hyderabadi girl held onto her serves and she also benefitted from frequent approaches to the net.

No comments: