Sunday, April 24, 2005

Sania looks for first round win at Roland Garros

Apprehensive that her recurring ankle injury could land her on the surgery table, tennis sensation Sania Mirza is taking no chances ahead of next month's French Open where her initial target is to cross the first round hurdle.

With the tennis extravaganza at the Roland Garros set to begin on May 23, the teenager said she had not set any big goals for the Grand Slam event and was rather looking to cross the first round.

"I will try my best. I don't think that I will win the championship. My priority is to win the first round. There is a lot of expectations, and pressure too," Sania, who won her first WTA title in Hyderabad two months back, told reporters here today.

"The pressure was there in Hyderabad Open too. I got entry into the championship in the last minute, but the expectations were high and I am glad I lived up to those expectations winning my first WTA title in my home town," she said.

The 73rd ranked teenager from Hyderabad, who got a direct entry into the clay courts of French Open, is now nursing a "recurring" ankle injury and is going to get it examined on April 30.

"On April 30, there is a scan. The only option before me is rest. Otherwise, doctors have said that the injury will worsen leading to surgery which I don't want to happen," she said.

Sania said the injury was due to the training she got in her childhood.

When asked whether she was comfortable playing in clay courts, the surface used in the French Open, Sania said "I prefer hard courts. I am not a baseline player. Clay courts are not my favourite." On yesterday's 3-0 defeat of the Indian girls in the Fed Cup after some good tennis earlier in the week, Sania said India lost to China who fielded their best team.

"We had not lost to a meeker side, neither we played meekly. We played well," Sania, who was disappointed at not being able to play in the championship, said.

Though she had been flooded with offers from companies to endorse their products, Sania said, "I do not want to be known as a model, I want to live as a tennis player and no one else.

"Whenever any endorsement deal comes in the way of my tennis career, it will be the end of that deal," she said.

No comments: