Sania Mirza, who is on a comeback trail after a four-month lay-off due to an injury, was delighted on Wednesday when she was informed that she had been given a direct entry into the Australian Open tennis tournament which is to be held in Melbourne next month.
Speaking to The Hindu after a gruelling practice session here, Sania expressed her joy at this very good news. “I think the New Year seems to have started on right note for me,” she said.
“Right now, I have no problem with my wrist. In fact, I am hitting the ball harder and better than before. I am really comfortable and enjoying every moment on the court on my comeback,” she said.
The best Indian women’s tennis player also said that 19-year-old Vania King of USA will be her doubles partner, with whom she had already won the Morocco Open doubles title in May this year.
Before the Australian Open, Sania, who happens to be the only Indian player to be invited, will represent Asia in the inter-Continental exhibition championship along with Chinese Zheng Lie.