Monday, December 15, 2008

Sania mirza ready to comptete again

After an injury-marred 2008 which saw her ranking plummet to outside the top hundred, Sania Mirza looks forward to a new season with hope. Sania, who missed out on most of the action during the year, is now raring to go and a three-week training camp at the Tennis Village here with Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna has helped her get into shape.

After a session of working out and practice, Sania told The Hindu here said that she wanted to get back “that winning feeling.”

“You lose that if you are out of competition as long as I have been. I wish to get that back and make winning a habit, now that I have got over all injury-related problems and am feeling pretty good, physically and mentally,” she said.

Sania said she did not wish to set goals for the season ahead. “I would rather live and play for the moment instead of looking ahead too much. Right now, I am not even thinking about Australian Open, for which I have got a slot in the main draw,” she said.

The break did hurt Sania, who said she could not even beat to watch the U.S. Open, her “favourite hunting grounds” on TV. But she managed to cope with those dark moments and learnt the virtues of patience. “I am a lot more patient now and the focus is rightly on the present moment and making the most of it.” On the 2009 season, she said: “Nobody is going to dominate and lot new faces are there in the top 100 and the competition is going to be hard and, certainly, the No. 1 is spot is (up for grabs).”

“For me, it is like a new beginning and whatever I am taking into the year is a bonus. I am ready to compete again.”

No comments: