Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Injury free Sania raring to go for Nasdaq Open



Sports News, After receiving a wild-card to play in her maiden Tier I WTA event, Sania Mirza on Tuesday said she would take part in the Nasdaq-100 Open in Miami, Florida, as an "injury-free player".

The 19-year-old, who was recuperating from an ankle injury that began to trouble her at the Australian Open, received a wild card to play in the $3 million tournament starting on March 23. "My injury is okay and the ankle is much better. I will be going to this tournament as an injury-free player," Sania said.

Sania, who created history becoming the first Indian to win a WTA Open at Hyderabad after showing her prowess by reaching the third round of Australian Open, would leave for the USA on March 19 and was confident of putting up a good show. The Hyderabad girl said she did not make any special preparation for this tournament and she would be going without much expectation as it was a Tier I event with the world's best in action.

"I will play my game and try to progress as far as I could," she said even as her family members were busy looking after her mother Nseema who underwent a surgery on Tuesday. Sania's father Imran Mirza

http://www.keralanext.com/news/?id=151185

No comments: