Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Sania eyes clay play pre-French Open

Mumbai: Admitting that clay is not her favourite surface, tennis sensation Sania Mirza on Monday said that she will play some tournaments on clay before the French open.

"Clay is not my favourite surface but I will be playing some tournaments so that I will be in perfect shape for the French Open", Sania told reporters here on the sidelines of a function.

"As far as playing on grass is concerned I have won junior Wimbledon (doubles) title and I think that will not be a major problem", Sania said.

She said that she was working on her aim to be in top 50 WTA rankings by year end. On her ankle which she twisted at the Dubai Open, Sania said "my ankle is not that bad as I thought. I have been advised some rest but I think it will be fine and I might start playing again within a week."

About tournaments in which she will be participating, Sania, currently ranked 77th in the world following her quarterfinal appearance at the Dubai Open, said she will be playing at Miami later this month and go to France to play some tournaments before tuning up for the Federartion Cup in Delhi.

On her high-profile match with former World No 1 Serena Williams in the third round of Australian open, Sania said, "I felt a bit nervous before entering the court which is natural for an youngster who is facing player of Serena's calibre. But as the match progressed, I became more confident."

No comments: