Monday, October 03, 2005

Sania likes red hot Ferrari

At 18, she’s just got her learner’s licence. And is as confident about her wheel power on the tarmac as she is about her will power in the tennis court. “I think I am a good driver,” she says, adding, a trifle bashfully “I don’t know what my parents think about my driving, but I have not banged the car even once so I must be pretty okay.”

As much a style icon as she is a sports ideal, Sania goes for the killer combo of cool comfort in her dream vehicle. “Since I don’t drive too much, what I look for is a comfortable car; one that takes me from one place to another,” she says. “So what I go for in a car is primarily comfort and looks. I like sleek cars but I also prefer cars that offer rear seat comfort. I don’t go for one at the cost of the other.”

That’s also why, she won’t green signal a convertible even though she thinks they are “really cool.” For Indian weather she prefers something more comfortably stylish. Read: A Mercedes Benz E-Class Kompressor which will soon grace her garage. But ask her about her dream car and her eyes light up: “My dream car is a Ferrari of course. It has to be a Modena and it has to be blood red.” The colour consciousness shows up even when she is choosing a car for herself. Nothing too loud or funky. Nothing that screams bling bling. “I am pretty sober in my tastes so I would opt for either black or red when buying a car.” says Sania. “And I wouldn’t want to jazz it up with gizmos or stickers either. I would like a simple car. Nothing too jazzy or funky.”

As for motor sports, Sania tries to catch the action when she can though she does admit that her schedule leaves her with very little time for anything else. Her favourite F1 star, though, is Michael Schumacher. Reason: Consistency. “I do cheer for Narain Karthikeyan because he is the only Indian on the circuit but Schumacher is my favourite. Even if I miss the action for a couple of weeks, when I come back I see that he’s still winning. As a sports person that’s a quality I admire,” Sania says.

What she also shares with her Ferrari hero is the ability to handle pressure. Both in court and outside. “Of course there’s pressure,” she says. Everytime you step into court there’s a billion people wanting you to win. But success teaches you how to face that pressure. You know people expect a lot and sometimes they expect stuff that you can’t deliver. But it’s an added motivation all the same. Because I know that they are always behind me, because I know I have their support, it motivates me to give it my best shot,” she says.

For Hyundai, Sania’s brand presence will add “zest and youth” to the Getz. “She was a natural choice, being trendy, youthful, dynamic and global,” says BVR Subbu, president, Hyundai Motor India. The new brand ambassador, he said, would also help the company focus on “young, lady drivers,” he said. Sania’s response: “It’s an honour and I do hope we can continue this relationship for a very long time.”

No comments: