Monday, October 03, 2005

Sania to open against qualifier

After a shocking second-round exit from the Sunfeast Open, India's Sania Mirza will begin her campaign at the Japan Open, in Tokyo, against qualifier Vilmarie Castellvi of Puerto Rico on Monday.

"I've never played at senior level in Japan, but I've been to Osaka twice and to Nagoya twice in the juniors. I've always played well in Japan. I'm looking forward to a great week," said the 18-year-old, who captured a junior doubles title in the tournament in 2003.

After just two years from turning professional, Sania has rewritten women's tennis history in India. She became the first Indian to claim a WTA title when she won the Hyderabad Open earlier this year.

Her sensational run at the Australian and the US Open made her the first Indian woman to reach the third and fourth rounds respectively.

Beginning the week ranked world number 37, Sania said the results have come earlier than expected.

"I got the opportunities and I just grabbed them with both hands. I played some good tennis when it really mattered," she said.

"Everytime I step on court, I'm not thinking about making history. I'm there because I want to be there, give my best and play for my country.

"I just hope that five or six years from now, we will have a lot more women tennis players from India. It's really nice that people are taking an interest in tennis, especially when we come from a cricketing country," she said.

No comments: