Monday, January 16, 2006

It isn't easy to adjust at this level: Sania



Sania Mirza practices for the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne on January 15, 2006.

It feels wonderful to know that I am the first Indian woman to be seeded at a Grand Slam. I will be even more delighted if several others emulate me in years to come!Of course, seedings don’t matter once you enter the court. A seeding in fact adds to the expectations of your supporters and the pressure on your shoulders. It is important that you learn to handle both. If you don’t, you are in trouble.

I play qualifier Viktoria Azarenka in the first round of the Australian Open. Playing a qualifier can often be a dicey proposition, for she comes into the game with three consecutive wins behind her. That all those wins have been achieved in the same conditions in which the bigger tournament will be played, adds to the qualifier’s confidence.

I will be playing both Doubles and Mixed Doubles in the Australian Open. It should be great to play on the same side of the court with Corina Morariu, who is ranked 15th in doubles and was Lindsay Davenport’s partner earlier.

I met Lindsay in Hong Kong, she told us that Morario was looking for a partner. From then on, it was a matter of getting in touch with her and gauging the ‘compatibility’ factor. We realised that our respective games would complement each other and decided to team up.

My mixed doubles partner is the Australian Steve Huss, who is a name to reckon with in the doubles circuit.

It should be a hectic fortnight, but singles will remain my topmost priority as always. The practice sessions have been invigorating, with my coach John Farrington and trainer Jade Hottes constantly by my side. We have slogged hard, and there is no reason why the results will not show. I am hitting the ball well and raring to go. The recent match against world no 17 Daniela Hantuchova in Sydney was an ideal beginning to the year. Though I lost, I took a set off her and had a good workout in the middle.

Anybody who has played a bit of tennis will tell you it is foolhardy to look beyond your next match. I am thrilled to have reached the highest level of the sport, and I am looking forward to my contests with the elite players from all over the world. It isn’t quite easy to adjust quickly at this level. My objective will be to give it my best shot, but take one match at a time.

No comments: