Thursday, January 26, 2006

It's another fabulous New Year gift: Sania

HYDERABAD: Sania Mirza, the tennis sensation from Hyderabad is yeat again in the limelight.

She has become the youngest recipient of the Padma Sri award from the State after an official announcement was made on Wednesday night.

Sania and her father Imran Mirza were simply delighted when the news was broken to them by The Hindu . "It's a great honour and honestly I never expected it. I feel proud about this and once again reiterate that I will do my best to live up to the huge expectations," she said.

The World No.32 believes this award will only spur her to achieve greater deeds in the highly competitive international circuit. "This is yet another fabulous New Year gift for me and I thank all my fans for their affection and warmth which should help me in my long journey," she said.

The Mirzas, obviously the most sought-after sporting family in Indian circuit after probably Sachin Tendulkar, are also equally thrilled. "Honestly, we never thought of this prestigious award. No doubt, it has its own aura and also enhances the responsibility on Sania," says Imran.

Exclusive club

Sania now joins the exclusive club of sportspersons from the State who got the award, which includes Mohd. Ghouse (tennis), Mohd. Azharuddin, Karnam Malleswari, Mukesh Kumar and Pullela Gopi Chand.

No comments: