Monday, January 16, 2006

Mirza takes tips from best

YOUNG Indian Sania Mirza didn't mind hanging around coach Tony Roche's place after their pre-Christmas lessons. After all, how often would you get the chance to hit with the most dominant player in the game?

Mirza relished the chance to drill briefly with world No. 1 Roger Federer on Roche's home court in Sydney when the Swiss champion arrived for a week of intensive practice.

"I just warmed him up," Mirza said yesterday after preparing for her first-round match tomorrow against qualifier Victoria Azarenka, of Belarus. "Tony is amazing. He was on the court almost seven, eight hours a day. He had to distribute the time after Roger came in. It was like two hours for me, two hours with Roger, then I was back.

"He was actually giving personal attention to both of us. And Sophie Ferguson was training with me, too."

Mirza, 19, was one of last year's big movers, jumping from 206 on the women's tour to a year-ending 31st world ranking.

Now ranked 32, she broke through for her debut singles title in her home city of Hyderabad and the huge ranking lift gave her early-round protection as a Melbourne Park seed.

A wildcard recipient in 2005, she reached the Open third round, lost first round at the French Open, second round at Wimbledon and made the US Open's last 16 in an amazing rookie year.

"It all started here. It's always going to be very special for me to come back here," Mirza said.

"It has been a phenomenal year. To be honest, I did surprise myself to some extent. I really didn't think it was going to happen so fast.

"Obviously, people are going to expect a lot more from me. You need to shut all those things out.

"I'm not a rookie any more. Obviously, a lot of people have seen how I play, seen my game. But I've worked with Tony to make some changes. I'm back fresher and I'm really excited."

Now a recognisable sports star in India, Mirza is carrying the hopes of Asia, too, watched by admiring parents.

"We were holidaying in Bangalore (when she was eight) and my parents were watching a Wimbledon final involving Steffi Graf. My dad said, 'Can you imagine our daughter playing there one day?' and my mum said, 'I would give my life if she could play there'," Mirza said.

"When I walked on to Wimbledon Centre Court (second-round loss to Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova in three sets), that was the most special moment for me because it was like a dream come true for my parents."

No comments: