Friday, February 24, 2006

For Sania it’s ‘shop till you drop’ in Dubai

DUBAI — Now that she has some time on her hands, India’s tennis heartthrob Sania Mirza plans on getting some shopping done. “Every time I come here, I empty my purse,” said a slightly giggly Sania on Tuesday.

When asked if she’s decided what she’s going shopping for, the world No.38 said she “never decides” in advance. “I’ll probably go buy clothes, shoes, bags. And of course, something for my family.”

When it was pointed out that she’s still in the doubles draw, Sania said: “Then I won’t be emptying my purse just yet.”Not too upset: “I was excited about coming back to Dubai but unfortunately I ran into Martina (Hingis) in the first round,” said Sania, the 19-year-old from the land of the Nizams.

That first round clash was the first time they had ever played each other.

“To be honest, I think I played a great match. Martina had to work for every point. I learned a few things by playing against her.

“She’s one of the greats of tennis. She doesn’t go boom-boom on every ball. She just counter punches and keeps the ball in play. It was good to have the crowd behind me and I think they enjoyed the match,” she added.Sell-out crowd: It was probably for the first time that a first-round match of the Dubai Duty Free women’s championship had a sell-out crowd.

The atmosphere was electric as the crowd tried to pump up Sania past a smiling Hingis.

At one point some one in the crowd shouted ‘out’ when the ball was clearly in and Ms Mirza had to go and clarify that point with the chair umpire. Some instructions were even shouted out to the Hyderabad youngster in ‘Urdu’ so that the Swiss Miss wouldn’t understand what was going on. From the amount of attraction the Mirza-Hingis tie drew, it could have been a final rather than just another first-round match.Not nervous: “It wasn’t the greatest match I’ve played,” said Martina Hingis, flashing big smiles, at her post-match conference. Just happy to get through.”

Did a very partisan crowd unnerve her?

“I’ve got used to that. I’m not nervous about going on court anymore. I just have to remember I’m not 18 anymore. I have to adjust my game for my age.”

Her thoughts on her young opponent? “She’s young. She will learn. She has a strong forehand and some good cross-court shots. She needs to keep the ball in play more instead of going for outright winners.”

Pulling power: Sania Mirza pulling power was very much in evidence yesterday. Court number three was packed to watch the Indian star and her partner Maria Vento-Kabchi of Venezuala beat the highly-fancied Russians Fed Cup pairing of Maria Kirilenko and Anastasia Myskina.

The crowd went home very satisfied, knowing that they would get the chance to see Sania play another day.

Yesterday Ms Mirza did not wear the elbow guard she sported in her singles match against Martina Hingis.

And that may be due to the quality time the Indian enjoyed at Dubai's new Akaru Spa earlier in the day. At the invitation of the Dubai Open, Sania was treated to reflexology of the hands and feet before her doubles match.

That treatment seems to have worked wonders for the Hyderabadi youngster.The centre court was packed again for the second night running as Maria Sharapova played some classy tennis against her Russian compatriot Vera Dushina. Tuesday night’s crowd was noisy and boisterous.

Yesterday it was more like a normal tennis arena; with fans gently clapping when necessary.

No comments: