Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Sania: I want to maintain ranking

Bangalore: Sania Mirza on Tuesday said she expected a tough season ahead and indicated that her priority was to ensure that her WTA ranking does not slip further this year.

“I just want to stay at the ranking that I am in,” the 19-year-old told reporters after her first round victory at the $175,000 Bangalore Open.

“Second year is much harder than the first. Every year, things are getting harder. I just try to give my best. I will do my job.”

In the latest WTA rankings, Sania slipped from 32 to 38.

The Hyderbadi admitted that Indian sportsmen were under tremendous pressure while performing at home because of huge expectations.

“When you play cricket in India, it’s very hard too,” she said. “It’s hard for any athlete to play at home. So many people watch,” Sania said, but added “You have to come through the pressure.”

No comments: