Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Sania injured, may pull out of Doha Open

The7AM.com:


An elbow injury may force India's tennis star Sania Mirza, who lost to Martina Hingis in the first round of the Dubai Open, to pull out of Qatar Total Open which begins in Doha from February 27.

The Indian tennis ace played with a strapped right elbow as she went down to the five-time Grand Slam champion Hingis 3-6 5-7 on Tuesday.

'I got my elbow injured while playing in the singles during the Bangalore Open. I have been carrying a few injuries from the past few weeks and that may lead me to pull out of the Doha Open,' Sania said.

Asked if the elbow injury forced her to take such a decision, she said, 'probably, I won't be going to Doha because of the elbow.'

Sania, currently ranked at No 36 in the world, applauded the crowd for the support she got from them.

'It is unfortunate that I had to run into Martina Hingis in the first round,' said Sania, the doubles title winner at the Bangalore Open last week.

Hingis, however, seemed a bit uncomfortable and surprised with the way the crowd cheered for the Indian teenager.

'It looked more like a football match,' Hingis said.

'I could not find my rhythm and I am just happy to be through to the next round.'"

No comments: