Friday, September 15, 2006

Grand Slam title is not my goal: Sania

Hyderabad, Sep 15 : With her world ranking falling due to disappointing performance this season, Indian tennis star Sania Mirza Friday said her career might end without a Grand Slam title.

Stating that Grand Slam was not her goal and ranking was not her priority, the 19-year-old said she had matured as a player and was enjoying her game.

"I am enjoying the game and there is bound to be some ebb and flow. Two years back no one expected me to break into world top 50. I may or may not win a Grand Slam event but I still enjoy the game," she told newsmen at the launch of `Lotto Fall Winter '06 Signature collection' of Italian sports major Lotto.

Sania Mirza, whose ranking plummeted from an all-time high of 31 to 70 recently, did not agree that her form was as bad as being projected by the media.

"In the game there are going to be ups and downs. The rankings go up and come down. I am concerned about my game and I am enjoying playing it," she said.

Expressing confidence over her fitness levels, Sania hoped to have a good season ahead.

"My fitness levels are fine now. Only that I have some problem with my wrist as it hurts off and on", she said.

Sania, the only Indian to hold WTA title, claimed that she had improved on her serve and fitness and said she was working hard on some grey areas of her game.

"Earlier, I only had a good forehand. Now I have the entire game with me. The competition is also getting tougher. Previously, I was very offensive and that was my biggest weapon. Now I have added some tactical variations which did give some good results," she said.

Asked about playing doubles and mixed doubles, Sania said: "I'm nineteen and it is not time to think about playing doubles. I will be playing in the singles circuit for some more time."

She said she had no objection to playing with anyone for the doubles at Doha Asian Games.

Asked about playing alongside Leander Paes, she said: "I had played with him earlier and I have no objection playing with anyone."

No comments: