Wednesday, June 01, 2005

I had a decent match at French Open: Sania

Sania Mirza shurgged off her disappointment of first round loss at the French Open on her maiden appearance, saying she played a "decent match" given her injury circumstances.Eighteen-year old Sania, on the comeback trail from an eight-week lay off following an ankle injury, went down 3-6 3-6 to Gisela Dulko of Argentina after earning a direct entry into the main draw.

"It is ok, I knew it would be a tough match," Sania told PTI. "She (Dulko) is ranked 30th in the world and being an Argentine, knows her clay.

"I played a decent match. Kept coming up with my shots, but she played a good match today." The Indian, who trained with renowned coach Bob Brett in Italy before returning to the courts, said her prime goal throughout the past week and this had been to regain peak fitness.

"Of course I was trying to beat her. But besides the winning and losing, my aim had been to try and get match fit. At this moment, I still have to know how my ankle feels," she said.

Sania said she developed a tight lower abdomen while playing at the $170,000 WTA Tour event in Strasbourg last week but denied it affected her performance today.

She is entered in the doubles with Anna Chakvetadze of Russia. "Of course, I will give my best," she said.

After the French Open, Sania would be playing in a grass court in Birmingham in the lead up to Wimbledon where she has a direct entry. "Very excited about it (Wimbledon), grass any day suits my game than clay," Sania said.

No comments: