Saturday, June 25, 2005

Sania wants Muslim women inspired

London: Sania Mirza may have suffered a heartbreaking end to her Wimbledon dream but she believes her battling Centre Court appearance can strike a blow for the sporting aspirations of other Muslim women in India.

The 18-year-old is a devout Muslim and she stands against those who question her commitment to her religion on the basis of her participation in a sport which relies so heavily on femininity and sex appeal.

"Some people have some problems with the dress code. Maybe I wear short skirts but I pray five times a day and do the things that other Muslims do," said Mirza after her 6-4, 6-7 (4/7), 6-4 defeat to Russian fifth seed Svetlana Kuznetsova.

"Some men keep a beard and don't do the things they are supposed to. It's between me and my God and it's between me and my parents. Who cares what people say? I just hope I will encourage more Muslim women to come out and play.

"You don't care what people think or what people expect or what people want. I know I'm playing for myself, my country, and I'm winning. "I'm representing my country. You know, that's all that matters for me," she said.

Growing up in Hyderabad, Mirza idolised cricket star Sachin Tendulkar and harboured hopes of one day becoming a doctor.

That was until she walked on to a tennis court during one day and discovered she had an exceptional talent. Mirza was inundated with calls after the match.

"My phone hasn't stopped buzzing since then. I got a lot of messages saying, 'Even though you lost, you won the match'."

"But I hope I'll have many more Centre Court matches to play. I hope I'll be here the second Saturday on Centre court."

No comments: