Saturday, June 25, 2005

It was not my best match: Sania

London, After impressing one and all with her valiant performance in the second round of Ladies' Singles in Wimbledon, Sania Mirza is not ready to rate it as the best match of her fledgling career.
"I lost the match, whatever it was. Even if I played the best tennis of my life, I still lost the match. I still think when I played her in Dubai that was the best match of my career because I won it," the 18-year-old Indian said after pushing World No. 5 Svetlana Kuznetsova to the wall on the hallowed Centre Court of Wimbeldon.

Sania, who beat Kuznetsova in the Dubai Open earlier this year, did not think her victory in Emirates gave her some psychological edge .

"Well, it has to be at the back of her mind that I had beaten her before. She was ready for it. You could see, whatever my ranking is, whatever her ranking is, I think she was ready from the start. She knew I could come back and I knew she could always come back.

"When I went out there, I didn't think that I had beaten her in Dubai or anything like that. Every day is a different day. It just depends on how you play on that particular day. I think we matched each other point to point except for that one point where she made an exceptionally good volley," Sania said.

No comments: