Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Sania happy to conquer first round blues at Wimbledon





New Delhi, Jun 21 (PTI) After battling past vastly experienced Japanese Akiko Morigami to reach the second round of Ladies' Singles in the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, Sania Mirza today was happy with her form.
"I was expecting a tough match and she played a great match," Sania, the World No. 75, said after her 6-3, 3-6, 8-6 first round win yesterday.

The 18-year-old Indian, whose season went off track with a nagging foot injury after the Dubai Open, did not want to read too much into her success as she said "I know I cannot win every match I play but I am happy with the way I played." "I played a bit patchy at times and it could have gone either way. In the end, I am glad I came through," she told NDTV channel.

Sania now runs into World No. 5 and US Open champions Svetlena Kuznetsova, whom she had upset at the Dubai Open, in the second round.

No comments: