Sunday, September 18, 2005

I'm not going to change my style: Sania

Kolkata, September 18: Tennis sensation Sania Mirza is hopeful her new-found confidence after a good showing in the US Open can help her claim a second career WTA victory at the $170,000 Sunfeast Open next week".It was great to play the fourth round of the US Open. I'm feeling very good and I'm confident about my game. The confidence goes up and you know you can match the best in the business," she said on Saturday.

The 18-year-old player, whose sensational run this year has lifted her to 34 in the world rankings, eventually lost to Russian Maria Sharapova at the US Open.

The articulate Mirza has become a youth icon in cricket-mad India, both through her on-court exploits and her colourful earrings and T-shirts with catchy messages. Mirza faced a packed news conference at the indoor event in Kolkata. She has proved a huge draw with as many as 300 media accreditations issued.

Millions of fans are hopeful Mirza can emulate her success the last time she played at home, when she claimed her maiden WTA title at her hometown Hyderabad in February.

Mirza has not looked back since becoming the first Indian woman to reach the third round of a Grand Slam at the Australian Open in January.

"A lot has happened in a short period of time. No one expected this, but thank God. I knew it was going to happen, only it was a question of when. I'm thankful it happened sooner than later," she said.

Mirza is seeded third behind Russia's 2004 French Open champion Anastasia Myskina and her compatriot Elena Likhovtseva, both ranked among the top 20.

She hoped her fans would peg down expectations this time.

"Just because I won in Hyderbad doesn't mean I'm going to win here. This is a tougher tournament.

I think people should start facing reality, they should start accepting the fact I'm going to lose matches," she said.

An attacking player with a fierce forehand, she has struggled for consistency and both her serve and mobility have been affected by a stomach muscle injury and a troublesome ankle.

However, Mirza said she will not change her style.

"That is the way I play. I'm just going to go for broke. I'm going to have a lot of unforced errors, but I compensate that with winners," she said.

Security has been tightened at the event after an Islamic group opposed to Mirza's on-court dress threatened to prevent her from playing.

No comments: