Thursday, September 22, 2005

Sania admits 'problems' in her serve; vows to 'work on it'

Tennis ace Sania Mirza, after her shocking second round exit in the Sunfeast Open, now admits that service remains a chink in her armour and says she is "working on it".

''I am working on it (service), but it is not something that I can correct overnight,'' the Hyderabadi said after losing to lower ranked Melinda Czink yesterday.

In yesterday's match, the world No 34 was broken by the Hungarian six times in last two games -- four times in the decider.However, Sania is not equally candid on the other weak point of her game -- committing too many unforced errors.

''This is just the way I play. I am going to hit a lot of unforced errors but I compensate that by hitting a lot of winners," she has been quoted as saying in the media recently.

On her loss, the teenager said she had disappointed herself as well as the crowd.

''The crowd was pulling me on. It was disappointing for them. It was disappointing for me too,'' she said.

Talking to mediapersons after winning the doubles match later against Ragini Vimal and Punam Reddy 6-1, 6-2, pairing with Virginia Ruano-Pascual, the Hyderabadi girl said with a smile, ''It was an up and down kind of match. A weird match. A bad day for me.

It was a close match and anyone could have won it. I know everyone is disappointed and so am I. Hope to do better here next time.'' Sania complemented her opponent Czink for coming back so strongly after losing the first set 0-6. ''She played much better after the first set.''

No comments: